- 2 cups of whole milk
- 6 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of honey (a high quality honey)
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1 cinnamon stick
- sugar and ground cinnamon mixed together
- 1 loaf of Italian Bread (16 oz) or any other type of loaf (use at least one-day old bread so the bread is firmer for the toasts)
- 1/2 a cup of canola oil to fry
Put the milk, sugar, honey, and the cinnamon stick in a small sauce pan. Let it boil slowly for 3-5 minutes on medium-low. Set aside.
Cut the loaf in 1.5 inch slices. Beat the eggs in a shallow dish.
Heat the oil until a cube of bread browns in 3 o sec. Also have a plate aside with some paper towels on it. Once the toasts fry they can sit so all the extra oil comes off.
Now get ready: Soak both sides of the bread slices in the milk mixture and cover them with beaten egg. Quickly add the slices to the hot oil, in batches and fry on both sides until golden brown. Remove from the frying pan and let them sit on the paper towels.
Serve warm or cold sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon. The rabanadas are ready and taste out of this world!